Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Monument 10K

So this weekend was the 10th annual Monument 10K here in Richmond. It was a HUGE race with well over 40,000 people running/walking and it was Adam and I's first official 10K ever. We had been training since January and I honestly never thought I would be able to run the whole thing (6.2 miles). Well, the rain stopped for the morning, my old lady knees held in there, and we finished in a good time. It was such a fun race, too-- bands were playing every half mile or so, people were cheering with their families and dogs, and Monument Avenue is one of the "old money" streets in Richmond so you basically get to run beside beautiful homes the whole time. Not to mention the course is almost completely flat:-) This race is also one where you can enter into a costume contest and this year Pastor Wayne won! He's placed 2nd or 3rd every year up until this year, but if you can see this picture, you'll understand how he got 1st.


(Indiana Jones..complete with rock behind him and an Ipod playing the theme song)

But now that the race is over, I realize I kind of miss running. Now don't get me wrong, I have no aspirations of ever completing anything farther like my crazy half-marathon and marathon running friends (I truly envy them!!!) , but I would be interested in running some more 8 or 10K's. So if anyone has any suggestions, I'm up for it!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

If you're looking for races near you, I suggest runnersworld.com. You can select what type of races you like (1K, 5k, etc) near you. Plus, there are good tips on conditioning that I've been using! Congrats on your first 10K!

Garry said...

I have no aspirations of ever completing anything farther like my crazy half-marathon and marathon running friends (I truly envy them!!!) - Come On why don't you train and run a marathon - Scott is running Chicago and is trying to convince Meagan and myself to do it with him. If you ran a marathon we could have a person from every family represented :)

Garry

lindsay rae said...

I'm with Uncle Garry...DO IT!