Thursday, April 9, 2009

Give Me Your Eyes

Call me "behind the times", but I just went and saw the movie Slumdog Millionaire last night. Alot of people had said it was a really good movie and I knew that it had won tons of awards (which USUALLY means that it's too deep of a movie for me to understand:-)), but last night was the first opportunity for us to go see it. And I'm so glad I did.
As compared to most Christians I am surrounded by (and here's some honesty here...) I feel like an inadequate Christian. I know it's not a comparison game that we are playing, but I also know my downfalls. I have one of the most selfish spirits in the world and I don't have a heart for the lost as I feel most people do (and I know I SHOULD). I have had an easy and wonderful life and find that it's so easy to get complacent. I always beat myself up that I am not a missionary living overseas or that I don't do more outreach even in the city where I live. I know that working with the youth is bound to get me some points, but let's face it, most of them grew up in the church and have had at least a chance to hear the gospel. I get so caught up in my daily life that I just glance over the "other things" and let someone else go do it. I pray SINCERELY for God to open my eyes up to the rest of the world. We are called to spread the news of Jesus to the poor and brokenhearted and what do I do? I go shopping. Or out to eat. You get the picture. But anyways, back to the movie. Last night's description of the slums of India really hit home to me. And I honestly don't think it was just an emotional response. My heart broke for those kids that have to grow up like that and I know children have that kind of life right across the highway from me, too. Adam and I have talked about adoption and I believe that is one step we will take later on. Right now, as always, our lives are a work in progress. And everyday I have to ask God to show me his heart for the lost, because I'm not doing a very good job by myself.
If you haven't heard the lyrics to this song by Brandon Heath, it's called "Give Me Your Eyes", I would recommend downloading it.


Lyrics | Brandon Heath lyrics - Give Me Your Eyes lyrics


And I apologize for the seriousness of this blog-- I'll try not to let it happen again:-)

3 comments:

Erica said...

Shawn - great post! The movie is really good...I actually liked it more for the depiction of life it showed in India than I did the plot itself, though. It makes me feel better to read your words, though, because I SO OFTEN feel the same way. Complacency is a good word. It's just so easy to get caught up in "life" and forget that we are supposed to be "set apart." I like the seriousness...you can post one like this anytime. :)

Abigail said...

Shawnzee, props to you though for being aware of that. It's the first step... I feel the exact same way so you are not alone in your "self/spiritual discovery". :o)

Unknown said...

Great post. Don't apologize for the seriousness. I love how transparent you are. I constantly feel like I should be doing more.

I LOVED that movie. It really had an affect on me too, made me want to go over there and help them.

Also, love Brandon Heath and love that song. I drove Ben crazy with it a few weeks back, playing it over and over.

Maybe we could try and figure out a way to serve more here? Maybe once a month do something, no matter how small? Sometimes I think "I can't possibly do anything big enough to make a difference" so I don't try, but maybe we can start with something small.