Thursday, January 29, 2009

Winter Advance '08

Well, for those of you that doubt that Adam and I actually do youth ministry up here, here is a little proof for you:-) Martin Luther King weekend is always our designated weekend for Winter Advance. It is the biggest trip for the youth (they don't have a youth camp during the summer like most of us fondly remember:-))and they LOVE it. This was my 2nd year to be able to go and we took the most kids since Adam has been the pastor: 61 youth and 18 leaders! We stay at Camp Bretheren Woods, about 2 1/2 hours away, for 4 days and 3 nights of no sleep and eating junk. Sunday is the day we head up to Massanutten Ski Resort where the kids can ski, snowboard, tube, or just hang out in the lodge. This year's theme was "Purity with a Purpose". Pastor Wayne (our head pastor) was the teacher this year and laid it ALL out about sex. It was so awesome and the kids got alot of answers to questions they had and had the chance to sign a new covenant with God for purity in their lives, focusing on grace-filled accountability with each other. I'm telling you, there is nothing more rewarding in life than to see young people turning their lives back to the Lord. I was tearing up alot that day:-) I also got the chance to talk with all the girls on Saturday morning, sharing my own testimony about relationships and high school. I was sooo nervous but so glad I got to share with them.

Here are some highlights from the weekend. I apologize for the poor picture quality (I'm still using the ghetto Kodak EasyShare since I dropped my good camera)



The first game of injuries: some sort of thumb war or something



We played another game where certain kids had to describe what was under the boxes to the audience. The boxes had fruit, a shoe, and then under the last box was Tim Brock, one of our adult leaders.Every kid screamed when they peaked under. It was hilarious!



This was sharks and minnows only on land, not water. The kids had to crawl from one end to the other, with the sharks having to steal a shoe from the minnows. It basically turned into a giant wrestling collision.



Some of my favorite girls







Bad quality picture but here is everyone sitting down for a session



Can ya'll believe that people STILL play the cup game?? I for one was never a fan, but they still love it!




Adam in charge









Scary snow monster:-)



Yes, my husband is wearing a Teletubby costume at the ski resort. There was an autistic boy who thought he was real and wanted to stab him to death!






How pretty...

3 comments:

Erica said...

Shawn, I have to tell you that I DIED laughing about the teletubby part and the kid wanting to stab him. It made me laugh so hard out loud, and I love it when that happens!

Abigail said...

Teletubby.... hilarious....

The Stums said...

How fun! Enjoy these days, friend, because these kids will be calling you for years and years to come long after you've forgotten the camp of 09. Jake randomly hears from one of "his kids" about once a week.

I, too, laughed out loud about the teletubby.