Thursday, January 22, 2009

First Day of Work

Well yesterday was my very first day of work as a nurse practitioner. Needless to say, it was quite overwhelming! As most of you can remember, I graduated school in August of 2007 and haven't really been in the NP mindset since then. So of course I have been freaking out for a the last couple of weeks and trying to study notes, etc. I was slightly at ease though when the doctor said about a week ago, "Don't worry, I'll hold your hand the whole way through". So I showed up Wed. morning with a hand ready to be held:-) Instead, I show up to a schedule that has me seeing 10 patients by myself!! I basically had to b.s. my way through the first day and act completely comfortable and that everything was no problem. I was there at 8:30 and didn't leave until 7pm. (Then of course, I had the 1 hour drive home). Needless to say, it was overwhelming. I did annuals, contraceptive planning, HPV counseling, pyschosocial consults, and more cultures and paps then I've done in a while. I've realized that I'm working with a brilliant doctor and that is also a little intimidating. She is a VERY OCD with cleanliness and she says everything is "beautiful" (ex: beautiful uterus, beautiful cervix, beautiful breasts.... you get the point:-)) Anyways, today is a well needed day off and I'm hoping I can recoup a little bit. I guess we'll see how the rest of the week goes!

7 comments:

Alison said...

Congrats on the job! My first exam I was told I had the cutest cervix. Maybe it's common to give private areas strange adjectives:)

lindsay rae said...

you are going to love it! i'm so excited for you! you are going to do great. you deserve this :)

The Life of Rookie Parents said...

Congrats on the new job!

Kristen Marie said...

I am SO excited for you! You are finally doing what you want to do. It sounds like the practice is really great too. There is hope for a job when I get out of school. kjb

The Stums said...

What a beautiful post from a beautiful girl with a beautiful job... your boss is nuts!

Oh, and I stalk your blog, too, Shawn. I've confessed this to you mother.

Meet the Montgomerys said...

Yayy for you! I'm so happy that you are finally able to do what you paid all those school loans for! :) LOVE YOU

Lisa Michelle Turner said...

Yay! I hope the rest of your week is fabulous!