Tuesday, January 13, 2009

School Loans

Few things in life frustrate me more than school loans. Can somebody please explain to me how a STUDENT loan can cost you nearly 3x the amount you borrowed in the first place??? How compounded interest can depend on if they do it daily, monthly, or continuously?? How you pay and pay and pay on your "principal" and all you are really paying for is more interest?? Or my favorite is when you call the loan people to ask them a question and you get some super math nerd spitting out so much information that you finally just say "oh, I get it now" (when you are even worse off than you started). I am not even lying, if I had known how much this whole process was going to cost me in the beginning, I would have done a whole lot of things differently. (How differently? I have no clue. Just differently). And if one more person tries to tell me that school loans are an "investment", I might just scream! Now don't get me wrong, my wonderful parents totally helped me out with college and I couldn't have done it without them. And precious Adam probably didn't realize that my marriage dowry included so much fun like school loan debt. He just smiles and says, "We'll get through it". And in the end, I know we'll get through it. It just makes you wonder if the amount you pay off in the end was truly worth the education you got.

1 comment:

caringcat said...

I completely understand your iritation! My brother graduated YEARS ago, and he is still paying off his loans. I was fortunate enough to get some assistance through vocational rehab b/c of my health problems and strong work ethic. But my parents still helped me out a ton. And as if tuition isn't enough, Apparently textbook paper is made from gold, right? I am sure you will get through it, but I will pray for you too!