Friday, June 4, 2010

Life with a Nosering

This blog is in honor of the fact that I can finally change my nosering out. As with any piercings, you have to leave the large stud that they pierce you with in for at least 2 months before you can switch it out. It's been 3 months since I've gotten it done, but I'm a slacker and haven't had a chance to get to the store. Anyways, life with a nosering (or a "nosestud" as my mother likes to remind me) has been interesting to say the least. Most people are receptive to it, but a large chunk of my beloved hate it. I personally am still enjoying it. Here are the most common questions/responses I've gotten:

Why would you do this to your beautiful face? Oh this is definitely my favorite question. Why did I do it? Well to be honest, I don't know. I think I just needed a little spontaneity in my life when everyone around me was having children. I think I just regressed a little bit. I had always thought they were cute on other people and I had been thinking about it for a couple of months. Plus, people don't think twice about it here in Virginia... not so in TN:-)

What did your husband say? He loves it and he went with me to get it. He says that he has a "cool" wife. I wouldn't go that far, but it goes with the whole youth pastor role I guess. Obviously he's the one that has to look at it the most so if he wasn't a fan, I wouldn't haven't gotten it done.

Did it hurt? I used to say "no" confidently. The actual process of getting it done really didn't. I got it done at a super-sketch tatoo shop (probably would have picked a different place if I got it done again:-)) and the guy with 18 piercings in his face told me it would feel like I got kicked in the face with a dodgeball. Luckily, that has happened twice to me and the dodgeball hurt waaaay worse than this. And it was over in like 2 seconds. However, the first time I changed it out, I wanted to cry because it hurt so bad. So I guess it's a yes and a no answer.

People have even been so rude as to say, "What's on your face"? My response is to look closely and you'll figure it out.

What did your pastor say? Seriously? My pastor could care less. And I'm pretty sure he's going to love me with or without a nosering. The kids in the youthgroup tend to like it so that's gotta be good for the numbers, right? (just kidding about the numbers!)

What did your boss say? She didn't even notice for the first week. Then she asked me if it was new and she said it was "pretty". Her daughter stopped in the office to say hi and then the following week told her mom (my boss) how much she loved my nosering and how she wanted to get one. She is in college, but I'm thinking Dr. Hines probably wasn't too keen on that happening. Some of my patients even noticed too. Most of the older ladies probably are thinking I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to taking care of them. I did have an instance when a patient was being seen for a miscarriage and all her insensitive/redneck mother could talk about was how much she loved my nosering.

Don't they make smaller ones? Yes, they do, and I now have a smaller one in. I got the smallest one you could get when they pierced it. Thank you, Shauna:-)


Overall,one thing that I've learned is that you really have to love what you do to your body. I'm happy with it for now. It's not permanent and it's not a tatoo. It'll probably come out in a year or so. Comments are hurtful so it's best to just not say anything if you can't stand it.

4 comments:

lindsay rae said...

i say there is nothing wrong with sporting a nose stud in response to a quarter life crisis. i have known people to do much worse. =) AND, if people don't like your sparkling addition, it's probably because they're scared that they aren't cute enough to pull it off.

love you, friend...and your frosting.

Bernadette said...

You know that I was not a fan at first but I like the smaller more sparkly one you got this weekend. :)
Love,
Mom

The Quesenberry Family said...

When I saw on FB that you were getting a nose "stud" ;) I thought how perfect your nose was for one!! I bet you are super cute with it! If anyone can do it in a classy way you can! BTW - I had mine pierced for about a month in college. I'm pretty sure that mine hurt almost as bad as having Sophie, ha! Not really, but it did HURT :)!

Lisa Michelle Turner said...

I think it's funny that people actually care! (besides you Bernadette, moms can actually have a say) You look great with it! Good thing your pastor is ok with it, I would hate for this little bling to mess up your Christian walk. :) You can tell I was worried can't you?