Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Huehuetango, WHAT?



So in 36 hours (ish), I am going to be boarding the plane headed for Guatemala!! Me and students/faculty from Lee University will be heading to Huehuetango, Guatemala for 2 weeks (I'll only be gone 8 days) for a medical mission trip. We'll be roughing it and spreading the love of Jesus through antibiotics:-) What could be better?? Obviously I am super excited. I have so many mixed emotions about this upcoming trip. I love traveling and I love going to new places. I also love the fact that we will be blessing people through the gift of medicine. I have been praying for an opportunity like this for a while and I really believe the Lord laid it right in my lap. I know He wants me going. Buuuuttttttt.... on the other hand, I'm EXTREMELY nervous. 1. I will be traveling by my self to a third world country to meet the rest of the group down there. 2. I don't really know anyone else going (sans the 2 teachers I know). 3.. I'm very nervous that I'm not going to be able to properly treat the people down there. My specialty at work is Women's Health and we're going to be doing alot of primary care. 4.. There is always the risk of volcanoes/hurricanes. And I think those are all pretty legitimate fears. But I know God is going to do some great things while we're down there. I'm praying and trusting that He is going to take care of us the entire time. I can't wait to come back and share!

6 comments:

Katie said...

I'm so excited for you, friend! I'm not worried at all about you making friends... all those students are gonna think you're so cool :) And God has given you great abilities to help people... I know you will be used in awesome ways! Can't wait to hear all about it! Love you

Jenn said...

I will definitely be praying for you!!! Have fun!!!

Erica said...

Have fun Shawn! I know Chris really enjoyed his trip down there a few years ago, and he felt like they helped a lot..can't wait to hear about your experience!

Alison said...

legitimate... yes:)
But you will be amazing. From my experience in Honduras a lot of these people are looking for someone to just care about them. You'll do great and the people you don't know will love you in about 3 minutes of knowing you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to hear all the amazing things that will come out of this trip. Praying for you! ox - jess

Lisa Michelle Turner said...

are you back!?! I can't wait to hear all about it!