Monday, April 12, 2010

Southern Longing

Usually when springtime comes along, so does my longing to be in the south again. And please don't argue with me- Virginia is NOT the south:-) We always tend to visit Adam's parents in Charlotte, NC during the most absolutely gorgeous weekends possible. The weather is always perfect and we always leave feeling refreshed, relaxed......and not wanting to come back to Virginia. So was the case this past weekend. We started off our journey Thursday night with a refreshing trip to Bojangles. We decided that for best results, Bojangles should only be consumed in North Carolina or Tennessee. Now, please don't judge me on this one- I haven't had friend chicken and french fries in over a month due to my new cholesterol regimen. This was just my little reward for absolutely nothing:-) On Friday, we were able to share lunch with a few of Adam's friends and then spent Friday night hanging out with LeeAnna and Justin, who have now lived in Charlotte about 6 months. Most of our time Saturday was spent either eating or shopping, where I was constantly reminded of the south with the southern blondes trying to sell me things I couldn't afford in the boutiques or being overwhelmed with NC State paraphernalia at Dicks Sporting Goods. I got the "official" Charlotte city-tour by Brent and Teri and saw little glimpses of where Adam grew up. I also saw some of the largest/most massive homes in the downtown "old money" section. It is there that I decided that there is absolutely no way these people need this much of a house. (Well, unless they have 15 kids.. and then I will give them a large house). While driving, I saw one of these aforementioned large homes with a "Moving Sale" sign inside. I really HATE yard sales and all things antique-y but I persuaded everyone to stop. We enter into a grimy old house that has been divided into apartments and this "Moving Sale" is really just a scary old lady trying to sell crap (there is no better word to describe it) out of her home. She told us to just look around and anything was up for grabs. We survived... but barely. We had dinner with Adam's parents Saturday night and then headed home sadly. Abby and I used to call this type of experience "Post Party Depression". It happens when you are either traveling and you have to head home or are hosting guests and everyone leaves. Either way, it's not a fun time. I'm looking forward to summer trips that can't come soon enough!









No comments: