Thursday, October 15, 2009

Be Nice to Me, I Gave Blood Today

If you've ever donated blood before, you realize that once you donate, you are suckered in for life. The blood bank employees (Va Blood Services up here) literally STALK you with phone calls week after week until finally you cave in and donate again... which can be once every 2 months I learned tonight. While giving blood is definitely not my most favorite activity in the world, I really do think it is for a good cause.
Since Thursdays are my day off, I actually had a moment to sit down and watch afternoon TV. (We don't have cable so those options are limited). Dr. Oz happened to be on and the show was focused on a free clinic they ran one day in Houston. They showed stories of these uninsured Americans with real life-threatening conditions that didn't have access to healthcare simply because they didn't have health insurance. These people weren't lazy. They were educated. Had families. Many worked multiple jobs and many were simply not approved for insurance due to their "preexisting conditions". These were AMERICANS, not just illegal immigrants.
I literally sat on the couch and wept for a solid 30 minutes. Adam walked in and thought something horrible had happened. My heart was so broken for these people that are not given the same rights that all people should be entitled to. I got angry, but I also got inspired that one day I might be able to work for something with an amazing purpose like that.
So I know it was a small step, but Adam and I went and gave blood this afternoon. It was his very first time and he did wonderful:-) The fingerprick is still the worst part to me and you better believe I'll take the free Little Debbie snacks at the end, but I really believe that even the small steps can help save someone's life. So as my sticker says, "Be Nice to Me, I Gave Blood Today".

1 comment:

Bernadette said...

Proud of you sweetheart! Maybe you and Adam can achieve your Dad's 6+ gallons! The bloodmobile will be at church this sunday and we are signed up for 11 a.m. :) Miss you.