Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Life of our Denali Dog

I've always said that we would never be those parents that talks about their kids (now pets) ALL THE TIME. I know that not everyone is a dog lover and I hate to be an inconvenience to anyone with my latest pet discovery. But since we've only had Denali for 3 weeks and my job is good, Adam's job is stressful as always, we haven't traveled anywhere fun, friends/family are the same, I've decided to update on the dog. The precious dog previously written about in the last blog is still precious, but much, much, much more "puppy-like" (ie: chewing, peeing, not eating, biting, etc). The biggest struggle for us as new parents has been getting this stubborn dog to eat. Another thing I said I would never do is have a picky eater in my house.... That too has been disproven. Denali came to us eating Iams dry food. He wouldn't touch that stuff with a 10-foot pole when he got here and we have since tried dry food with chicken broth, dry food with wet food, only wet food... you get the picture. Since he's underweight and having severe GI issues (I'll save you the details), the vet now has us feeding him a strict diet of homemade chicken and rice. Seriously? I don't even eat that good. He is crate-training and doing quite well with that, but still struggling with the concept of peeing/pooping outside. Does anyone know how long this "phase" will go on/ have any good tips for us? :-) He's also had numerous scares for me where he falls or runs straight into the glass door (which was hysterical might I add) in which I was convinced we were going to have to make a trip to the vet. I must say though, I think he is a pretty good dog. He loves car rides and has been to Williamsburg, the James River, and numerous homes and get-togethers. He is a people lover:-) I definitely advise anyone thinking about children to get a dog. It's excellent training:-)


Michael gave him this duck when he was visiting last week

alt=""id="BLOGGER_PHOTO_ID_5373368740528596754" />
He loves his bed. He also loves to pee on his bed. Does that make sense to anyone?


First bath... Not quite the water dog. Actually he looks super skinny and sick when he's wet!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Awwwww. Ben and I hope to have our pooch by this weekend! We are just waiting on the application process to complete. There is a dog run near our house. We should take our dogs on doggie play dates, although ours will be much bigger than yours until Denali gets bigger.

Denali is adorable!

Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

So cute! That accident phase, unfortunately can last for a little while. Our dog we thought was completely trained after about 2 months and then relapsed once he got neutered, but finally got almost completely trained with just a minor accident here or there after having him about 6 months. For him peeing on the bed, maybe try to spray it with pet deoderizer..we got something like that at petco and it's supposed to completely take away the smell so they don't use that spot again. Good luck!:)

lindsay rae said...

oh, i can't wait until you have kids! please update us on his progress. it's hilarious :) i am eager to meet the little dude.

Lisa Michelle Turner said...

He is adorable!!! I love him! We hang a bell by the sliding glass door and we trained Jax to ring it with his paw when he wants to go outside to "potty". that my help Denali associate "potty time" too. ring it with his paw each time you take him out and say "potty." Raleigh just learned from jax so that was easier. Sadly it just takes time. the bell may also help him realize it's a glass door and not to run through it. ;) I sure can't wait to meet him!