Thursday, May 21, 2009

Never Give Up

We have a boy in our youth group who is autistic. I believe he is in 9th grade because this is his first year coming to youth. At the beginning of the year, it was rough- He has a problem cussing and saying inappropriate things, walking around during service bumping into people and chairs, and honestly just being very distracting. Alot of people don't really know much about autisum (I, for one) and I could tell it was very distracting to most of the kids. BUT, over this past year, I have begun to see a change. (And props to my husband for being so patient, working with him, and really looking out for him). The other night in worship, this boy actually stood next to me the entire time (which is a big accomplishment anyways), was still, sang the songs, and even raised his hands up to worship!!! I was blown away! Then on Sunday morning, he went down to the altar to ask for prayer for rededication/salvation! You might not think this is a big deal-- but I am so encouraged!! It just proves to me that we serve such an amazing and awesome God that loves EVERY SINGLE person and will never give up on us! Just because we think somebody is "different" than us, that they aren't the allowed to share in the glory of heaven. It takes you out of your Christian box and stretches you to think and be more faithful in sharing the gospel. That right there is enough to make me smile for a long time:-)



Disclaimer: For anybody reading this from Cornerstone, please know that I am not trying to point out/gossip about this person. I am simply sharing about the miracle I see transforming in someone!

1 comment:

Todd D. said...

I noticed him lifting his arms/hands during worship once or twice as well lately. Good stuff :)