Monday, May 4, 2009

Marley and Me


So I think everyone knows by now that Adam and I are on the dog hunt. We know that we want some sort of an athletic dog, specifically a lab or labradoodle. Well my good friend Hannah told me that we needed to rent Marley & Me because it was about the story of a young couple chronicling their life with their labrador (Marley). Well, after crying my eyes out for the last 45 minutes of the movie, I'm not sure if I even want a dog anymore:-( This movie had the complete opposite effect of a feel-good movie for me! And we were even watching precious Ellie (the Franco's chocolate lab) that night. Basically, I don't do well when pets get old in age. (Don't even get me started on the movie Homeward Bound!!) In fact, I don't like watching movies when people get older either. I always end up relating the pet/person to someone important in my life and then thinking about how sad it will be when they'll pass away. Does anybody else ever feel like this or am I completely morbid??? So by the time Marley was going to the vet for the 2nd time, my brain and my eyes had had enough and I wasn't even sure that I wanted a dog anymore. Then, as if I wasn't depressing me or my husband enough, I got on my where-are-we-going-to-live-when-we-get-older/am-i-going-to-have-to-work-all-my-life/i'm-terrified--to-have-children spill. Adam definitely thought I was crazy and probably just wanted me to go to bed. I really did think it was a cute movie, but I think it just had waaaayyyy too much of a personal impact on me. Give me a week or so, though, and hopefully I'll be back to my dog-hunting:-)

8 comments:

Bernadette said...

We can't even watch that movie yet. Not when I still see Hersh every time I look up in the pen. Waaaay too sad....
Love,
mom

Katie said...

Um, took my mom to see it on Christmas Day when it came out (we both love dogs and she was dying to see it), and I think it ruined our day. We both bawled the WHOLE way home, which is EXACTLY what happened when little Katie went to see Homeward Bound, many years ago! I was so glad you referenced HB :)

I even called our friend Lisa to warn her to not see Marley and Me because I knew it would bother her too bad, especially since she has two of her own, and sadly, I was too late. She had already seen it!

Although the end is heart wrenching, I don't think we should let it stop us from getting dogs of our own! Think of all the happy times they had with him, ya know? :)

ALM said...

Shawn! Knox and I have the PERFECT dog for you and your hubby!!! Check out his blog, and you'll see what I mean. :) :)

Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

Hey Shawn! I definitely remember you! Glad you like the blog! Your blog is super cute. I'm with you-I haven't even watched that movie because I don't want to get sad. We just got a little yorkie in the fall and just love him like he's our child! (oh & I'm also frightened of having kids!)Glad you all are doing well in VA!I love that coach purse your boss brought you back-how generous!!

The Stums said...

I agree with all the M&Me comments. We just saw it a week or so ago even after people warned us. I really love dogs (all pets, really), but that beast was a real work!

My only dog advice since you're considering a large breed - teach him/her to heel. It will save your life and your back and your hamstrings and small neighbor children. Just sayin'...

Gladys Ann said...

Last weekend Hannah and I watched the movie and for the last part of the movie I was afraid to lookat Hannah (since we have lost 2 dogs in the past 4 years)It WAS sad but I remember all those great things about Hannah's dog Elsa and that's what you remember. It's amazing what we will do for our animals. Kelly's dog, Sophie just had major surgery and is walking around with one of those cones on her head...

Erica said...

I have never really had a dog that I was attached to, but I can relate when it comes to my horse. :) But the real reason I am commenting is because I TOTALLY get into the crying, "What am I going to do when my parents die? I don't want to get old. Where are we going in life?" thing, like you did. I can get torn to pieces on those issues at the drop of a hat....you aren't morbid at all. Just a girl!!!

Lisa Michelle Turner said...

I'm there with you on this movie & was going to tell you how our friend Katie tried to spare me, but it was indeed too late! When something happens to our dogs one day I think I'll have to be put down...seriously, but every time I think about it I try to focus on how much the bring to my life daily & how much fun they are! BTW-why do they present that movie like it's a kids movie?!!? It's soooo not! I think even John shed a tear & that means too much for the kiddos :)