Sunday, February 22, 2009

Step by Step, oh baby, gonna get to you girrrrrrrlllll!



Step 1: We can have lots of fun!
Step 2: There's so much we can do!
Step 3: It's just you and me!
Step 4: I can give you more!
Step 5: Don't you know that the time is right???!?!!

Now for those of you faithful fans out there, you know exactly what I am talking about. New Kids on the Blocks. Jordan, Joey, Jon, Danny, and Donny. Step by Step. Hanging Tough. The Right Stuff. Some of the best memories of my childhood involved these guys (I might be slightly exaggerating here). Sleepovers with my NKOTB sleeping bag, playing with my NKOTB Barbie-like dolls, kissing Joey's picture goodnight at my friend Lexie's house, cutting out pictures of the guys from Teen Beat (and then organizing them into separate folders), skating around Courtney's garage to their music... I'm gonna stop there. The keyword , however, is "memories". I don't feel the need for this reinventing of New Kids on the Block. Why not let the memories linger pleasantly in my mind:-) The other morning on the radio they were giving away free concert tickets for their upcoming reunion tour and you would have thought they were giving away free tickets to Europe. Grown women were calling in screaming.
But does this make me less of a true New Kids on the Block fan? Is it ok to think grown men should not call themselves "kids"? Is it ok that I prefer to keep their songs on my 80's/90's playlist on my Ipod? Is it ok that I don't want to hear 30 year old men sing creepy lyrics about half-naked girls in the summertime? After much deliberation and soul-searching, I think it IS ok. And the next time I hear my boys sing "Hey girl, can I get your number", I'm going to have to say no.

4 comments:

lindsay rae said...

ohh...the summertime video is disturbing on so many levels, i totally agree!

Unknown said...

Oh I couldn't agree more. Great post. I had the Jordan and Joey Barbies as well as the sleeping bag, but they have definitely achieved creepiness in their present career path.

John and Court said...

I wanted that sleeping bag so bad!! And the stage...oh the stage!

Jen B said...

oh how we all loved them :) i'm great and currently work at a VA hospital in the mental health dept. as the "asst. business mgr." how are you!?