Sunday, June 28, 2009

Finally, a Day at the Beach!

Thankfully, my parents have always been the kind for family vacations. Growing up, we always went to the Outer Banks every year, usually for the week of the 4th of July. Those vacation spots have now expanded to Hilton Head or certain remote parts of Florida... all with the only requirements being that the beach be as relaxing and with as few people as possible. If you've ever been to the Outer Banks, you can agree that it's the most relaxing place on earth. Large beaches, amazing homes with hammocks and hot tubs, biking everywhere, lighthouses, no hotels in sight, and even the occasional wild horse.
VA Beach is not like that:-)
Sadly this year, I will be foregoing my vacation time for a missions trip in late July. So when the chance to go to the beach for a Saturday with the young adults at church came up, you can bet that I hopped on board. However much fun we had "riding the waves" and getting sun, this beach is different. I'd even like to go as far as to call it the Gatlinburg of beaches. Think hotels, boardwalks, millions of people, greasy food, and tourist shops on every corner. It was a great place to people watch and some of my favorites were the 300+lb woman "riding" one of those blow-up whales, the teenage couple making out in the water under the boardwalk... with their jeans on, the older ladies that probably shouldn't be wearing the diamond encrusted bathing suit they probably got when they were 20, and the millions of precious little kids shrieking everytime the waves crashed in on them. The best part of the day was that I even got to read a book for fun (I'm trying to get through "My Sister's Keeper" so I can go see the movie). Minus the missed sunscreen spot on my lower back, the day was great and much needed for this summer.

No comments: