Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Life on the Daniel Fast

Ok, I know you are not supposed to let people know you are fasting of any kind (so sayth the Bible), but this Daniel Fast is really rocking my world! Adam and I chose to do a Daniel Fast after our Greece trip for two reasons: 1. We are specifically praying for some important future decisions and 2. Because we ate like glutenous pigs on our vacation. In a nutshell, you are not allowed to eat meat, breads, sugar, caffeine, preservatives, anything that tastes good, etc. We are 8 days into (out of 21) and
I miss meat.
I miss bread.
I miss sugar.
I really miss caffeine.
I even think I miss preservatives:-0

I am the grouchiest, meanest person in the world. I'm so bitter about the things that I CAN'T have that I'm not even focusing on all the things I CAN have. I have decided that after a fantastic vacation, going on a fast is like torture. Adam is hanging in there as well. He's allowed to have coffee, black, so I think he's a little happier in the mornings, but we're still both a mess. As with most fasts, you spend the time you would be eating/drinking in prayer or a more focused quiet time. Instead, I feel like I am at the grocery store trying to buy something to eat. Not to mention the fact that all that fresh food is expensive! I know alot of people that have done this before and I am certainly open to any and all suggestions! I'm praying also that my attitude turns around...quickly. I know this will benefit us if we stick with it but I don't want to be a jerk for the whole three weeks either.

4 comments:

Knox McCoy said...

I don't really have any advice to offer, but if either of you end up murdering someone while on this fast, I know a good lawyer. No jury in America would convict someone on a meat, bread, sugar, and caffeine fast.

kristenfeola said...

Hi! Your honesty is refreshing because anyone who has done a Daniel Fast has probably experienced the same struggles! I know I have.

I want to let you know about my blog, Those Who Hunger, which provides recipes and devotions for people doing the Daniel Fast. Perhaps it will encourage you as you seek the Lord. I pray that God will richly bless you as you surrender to Him!

Kristen Feola
http://www.thosewhohunger.com

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled." - Matthew 5:6

Carla said...

The hardest part for me would be the no caffeine. I have to have to do deal with all those whiney customers:)

Unknown said...

I am so thankful that you shared that! I ve been onlind looking for support. Some validation that you can love God but still freak out about this fast